IMPORTANT: Myths die hard; we all know that. Here are some myths debunked and further explanations as to why we choose MEAT or PEAT and why we hope you do not use RICE, NSAIDS, or get Cortisone shots.
- CORTISONE: I have been preaching this for so long! I have been doing my best to promote natural healing but so many people want that "immediate relief." They do not understand that a little bit of guidance, soft tissue work, corrective movement, strengthening, and kinesio tape can go very far and actually HEAL them. Until orthos move away from fear of liability, which has them choosing immobility, ibuprofen, and cortisone for almost every strain and sprain and inflammatory response in the body, we will never see healing the way it can truly happen in our country! I am so saddened how many people suffer needlessly with lingering pain that becomes chronic as well as further damage done to a tendon, ligament, or joint because it was covered up by cortisone. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW ANY DOCTOR TO GIVE YOU A CORTISONE SHOT! Read here for an in depth explanation about what really happens when cortisone is put in the body!
- LACTIC ACID: One big myth is that massage can remove lactic acid. This is not true AND lactic acid is NOT a bad word. It is supposed to happen and is a normal response. Massage CANNOT remove lactic acid. However receiving a massage within 2 hours of a vigorous workout has been shown to reduce inflammation; measuring less NFkB, and increase the gene, PGC-1 Alpha, that helps muscle cells build mitochondria. This matters because mitochondria turn a cell's food into energy.
- ICE: Another myth is that we should ice injuries. There is absolutely NO SCIENTIFIC proof that ice helps an injury. Inflammation is needed to heal any injury, if the area is iced and the inflammation process is halted or slowed down then things take much longer to heal. RICE was redacted by the man who actually coined the phrase many, many years ago along with an apology because he knows it further injured people.
- IMMOBILIZATION: Another myth is to stop moving. You're hurt! Wear a brace, boot, etc. Immobilization is NOT your friend, for low grade strains and sprains. This is where we use PEAT. Come see us in the first 24 hours so we can resolve it super fast!
- NSAIDS: Take an NSAID as soon as you hurt! Not true! Using NSAIDS can slow healing. The doses are often wrong and have their own implications as well!